Middle School Math Teacher
Mott Haven Middle School for Social Leadership respects the diverse voices of its students, families, and team members in order to build a social-emotionally responsive learning environment that prepares citizens to become:
- Owners of their academic and emotional growth. Haven Academy believes that students should graduate with the emotional intelligence to recognize their strengths and weaknesses to improve themselves and their community. Scholars are supported to become owners of their personal development—both academic and emotional.
- Confident social leaders. Haven Academy is committed to prepare students to become engaged, effective civil leaders that advocate for justice and equality. Scholars develop a nuanced understanding of American and global social history to become leaders in the social justice movement.
- Graduates able to meet their goals. Haven Academy believes in the innate potential in all students, regardless of their background. Scholars will develop the knowledge and skills to succeed in high school and earn the opportunity to choose their futures.
Mott Haven Academy Middle School for Social Leadership is seeking Middle School Teachers who are dedicated to progressive teaching practices and providing high quality educational opportunities to underserved communities.
Our outstanding educators are provided with unmatched opportunities for rewarding professional growth, are committed to using data to improve student results, possess exceptional professionalism, and embrace our school’s belief that all students, regardless of economic status or family structure, are entitled to learn in a system that gives them the best chance for success.
We are looking for a candidate who:
Innovates with curriculum and pedagogy – We seek to support scholars in taking ownership of their learning. All staff actively participate in designing and facilitating highly engaging, rigorous learning experiences with resources and scaffolds that allow scholars to lead their own learning.
Develops and grow through expansion – Expanding a school is difficult and can be exhausting in many ways. Staff must be motivated by the challenge and opportunity to develop and design protocols, processes, tools and ultimately maintain a culture for learning among young people and staff.
Practices social justice – Design, facilitate and participate in experiences and conversations that relate to race, gender, class and sexual identity in ways that empower scholars and foster community.
Leads through uncertainty – In order to achieve dramatically better outcomes for young people, sometimes there is no precedent for the strategies we employ. We need staff that can demonstrate leadership and try new approaches to achieve breakthrough results. All staff contribute to, and learn from, these experiences.
- Develop and maintain a classroom environment conducive to effective learning
- Design and facilitate middle school coursework in a core domain of Mathematics
- Plan a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of students
- Select supplies and other instructional materials
- Organize classroom procedures and manage student behavior to ensure all students are fully engaged and learning
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop and teach highly engaging, academically rigorous curriculum and lessons, aligned with Common Core Standards
- Inspire students to dedicate themselves fully to their education
- Analyze assessment data and use data to inform instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Facilitate Advisory
- Develop and implement targeted small group skill development for scholars
- Participate in and facilitate professional learning sessions with colleagues to norm expectations, promote high quality student learning experiences, engage in inquiry, problem solve, etc.
- Participate in and facilitate restorative circles as a means of fostering scholar investment in community and resolving conflict
- Engage actively in professional growth through the development of a personalized learning plan and attendance at staff orientation during the last two weeks of August
- Maintain proactive relationships with scholars and their families
- Participate in and lead elements of a summer program for new scholars during the last two weeks of August
- Other duties, as needed and assigned by school leaders
- Two or more years of teaching experience strongly preferred
- Master’s Degree in Education preferred; NYS Teaching Certification
- Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate and challenge students
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a warm and orderly environment
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unwavering conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- Sustained effectiveness teaching in an urban school
- Demonstrated evidence of high student achievement
- Commitment to Mott Haven Middle School for Social Leadership core values and educational approach
- Spanish language proficiency a plus