Mott Haven Academy Charter School (Haven Academy) is seeking a One-on-One Paraprofessional dedicated to providing high quality educational opportunities to underserved communities.
Located just two stops from Manhattan in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx, join our team as we pave the way for children in foster care in a unique school setting.
The job of One-on-One Special Education Paraprofessional is done for the purpose of providing support with the specific responsibility of assisting in the supervision and support of a student with special needs in the general education setting.
● Assist assigned student in performing activities within the classroom
● Implement individualized behavior plans and provide feedback of effectiveness
● Observe, record, and chart behavior
● Assist with crisis problems and behavior management
● Prepare the learning environment to allow the student to participate in classroom activities
● Adapt classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of the supervising teacher(s) for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives and meeting IEP goals
● Communicate with supervising instructional staff and support personnel for the purpose of communicating progress or implementing IEP objectives
● Escort student (e.g. bathroom, classroom, recess, etc…)
● Intervene in potential conflicts utilizing appropriate therapeutic approaches for the purpose of diffusing confrontations and minimizing disruptions
● Monitor student’s daily schedule and behavior plan for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment
● Supervise individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. community field trips, hallways, bus loading areas, cafeteria, parking lots, classrooms, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive environment and ensuring an efficient and safe arrival to and/or from destination
● Experience working with children with special needs
● Creative, nurturing, and excited about working with children
● Knowledge of positive behavior supports preferred
● Unwavering conviction that all students can learn at a high level
● High school diploma
All interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org