Physical Education Teacher Job Description
Hired by, reports to, and evaluated by Principal
The role of a Physical Education Teacher is an integral part of the school’s educational program. Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment that fosters, promotes and develops an understanding of the relationship of healthy body function and exercise; that motivates each student to cultivate physical fitness, and appropriate social and emotional adjustment; that discovers and develop talents of students in physical achievement; and that develops strength, skill, agility, poise, and coordination in individual, dual and team physical activities and sports, in accordance with each student’s ability.
Other responsibilities include:
- Teaches knowledge and skills in physical fitness, health education, and individual, dual or team sports
- Develop lesson plans that ensure the attainment of state learning standards and the additional specific grade-by-grade exit outcomes
- Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, and keeps appropriate records.
- Plan with classroom teachers, associate teachers and after school enrichment teachers to create interdisciplinary units of study
- Differentiate instruction to best meet the needs of all students
- Develop and use a variety of assessments
- Evaluate students’ progress on an ongoing basis in the areas of physical skills, knowledge and contribution.
- When appropriate, communicate with parents to provide information, learn more about students, and share student successes
- Value and promote peaceful conflict resolution and creative and authentic problem solving; Uphold the school’s System of Logical Consequences; Engage in effective and appropriate classroom management
- Keep an organized workspace
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students with families, support staff, specialty teachers, and leaders
- Participate in a variety of staff development programs, including a yearly individualized professional development plan, two-week summer PD, and individual PD sessions
- Uphold and promote the school’s mission and vision
- Perform other duties as needed to support the ongoing development of Haven Academy (e.g. creating Physical Education displays in common spaces, lunch and/or recess duty, tutoring, etc)
- Two or more years of teaching experience strongly preferred.
- Masters Degree in Physical Education or Health preferred; NYS Teaching Certification
- Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate and challenge students
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a warm and orderly environment
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unwavering conviction that all students can learn at a high level
Competitive Benefits are offered
If you are interested in a position at Haven Academy, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.